The holidays are rapidly approaching.
There. I said it. I didn’t want to bring it up but I feel that it’s my moral obligation to remind you of all the gatherings and dinners that will be held soon.
How many are you hosting this year? I’ve got a few on my plate but I’m not worried. I know exactly what meals to make this time of year.
Starting with this one.
Oh yes, you just can’t go wrong with a pot roast. Everyone loves a pot roast! And personally, I think it’s one of the easiest meals you can make!! A little bit of seasoning, some veggies and you’re good to go. I was able to make this without 3 kids running around.
You know that’s a feat, right there.
I love to pick up the tougher pieces of meat from the grocery to make this even more affordable. A chuck roast is perfect for this. The meat is tougher so it benefits greatly from the slow roasting. That tough meat turns into a mouth watering, tender piece of amazingness that even the kids love. And they’re picky picky! So what do you think? Want to try it out?
- 3-4 lb chuck roast
- 4 yellow potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can of beef broth
- dried basil, oregano and thyme
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Salt and pepper each side of the roast meat.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. The brown the roast on each side. Take care not to move the roast around while you're browing. This will allow evenness in color. Browning only takes 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once browned, transfer the meat and oils into a roasting pan. Surround the meat with the potatoes, carrots and onion.
- Season with basil, oregano and thyme. This doesn't have to be an exact measurement. Just what you like.
- Pour beef broth over the whole thing and cover.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 250.
- Reduce heat to 225 after one hour.
- Roast for an additional 2 hours at 225 until meat is done to your liking. Roast longer for well done.
See? How easy is that??
Until next time, Happy Monday!